Among the numerous holiday resorts which claim the attention of the travelling public, the Isle of Wight will be found to possess attractions of very varied character. It has often been the theme of poets and the delight of artists. The student of art and the amateur photographer can find subjects in variety, whatever may be his peculiar line of study. The noble cliffs and bays for the student of coast scenery; old mills and cottages, with trees and streams, for the lover of sylvan beauty. The rugged grandeur of the Landslip and Undercliff will furnish subjects that yield delight in the interpretation of their romantic interest. The earnest student of Geology will find enhanced interest in the fact that within short distances many successive formations can be studied; the high inclination of the strata bringing to the surface the different formations. The gentle undulations of the land also furnish great opportunities for pictorial expression. The Botanist may here find an almost inexhaustible store of treasures. Wild flowers and ferns abound in great variety.
To those who have never visited the Island, the accompanying illustrations will unfold sufficient of its beauty to give some idea of its resources. Being reproductions from actual photographs they may be relied upon as being true to Nature. There is great diversity in the scenery, and a holiday can be enjoyed amid its beauties which can scarcely be surpassed. It may be truly described as the Garden of England, and some of its scenes are here presented in the hope that those who inspect its beauties as here transcribed will be induced to visit and see it for themselves.
Steephill Castle, Ventnor.
STEEPHILL CASTLE, VENTNOR.—Within a mile of Ventnor, and close to the Town Station of the Isle of Wight Central Railway, is Steephill Castle with its beautiful and extensive grounds. From every point outside the Castle is well embowered in trees, only the tower being visible. It was built in 1835 by I. Hambrough, Esq. The architectural features are well displayed from inside the garden. The view from the tower is very fine. In 1874 the Empress of Austria stayed here, and hunted with the Isle of Wight hounds during her visit. It is occupied at the present time by Mr. and Mrs. Morgan Richards, the parents of "John Oliver Hobbes" (Mrs. Craigie), who is a frequent visitor.
APPULDURCOMBE ABBEY.—The ancient seat of the Worsley family, the present building was erected in the eighteenth century by Sir Robert Worsley. Here the Benedictine monks had a Priory in the time of Henry III. It was dissolved by Henry V, Sir Richard Worsley died in 1805, and the house became the property of the Earl of Yarborough, who had married the niece and heiress of the family. After being used as a school for many years, it is now occupied by Benedictine monks, In a beautiful park of four hundred acres, with a lofty down behind it, the house appears to be a well secluded and charming retreat. There is a public footpath through the meadow in front of the house....