THE CAT.PART 1. walk´-ing thought knew sheaths watched stroked smooth won´-der ground fore´-paws yawn mis-take´ shak´-ing toes stretched claw
1. Pussy came walking along the garden-path. Harry watched her, and saw that she did not like the damp ground.
2. She jumped over the pools, and then began to run, shaking her paws as she got to the house.
3. 'Now, a dog does not mind wet feet,' Harry thought; 'he will go into the water, but Pussy will never go into the water.
4. 'She does not even use water to wash herself. Come here, Pussy! You don't like to wet your nice fur, do you?'
5. As Harry was always kind to pussy, she let him pick her up and carry her into the house.
6. He sat down on the rug with her, and stroked her glossy back. One of her fore-paws rested on his hand, and he began to look at it.
7. 'Here are five toes,' he said, 'but what funny toes they are!' He gently turned the paw over, and saw the sharp nails drawn in under the fur.
8. The cat knew that he would not hurt her, so she kept her claws in, and let him feel them on the outside.
9. He found under the paw a soft smooth pad. 'Now I know how it is that she can walk so softly!' he said. 'This must help her to walk in that way.'
10. Here pussy gave a great yawn, and stretched out both her paws, claws and all. Harry saw the sharp nails like hooks, and watched them go back into their sheaths. Then she curled herself up on his lap.
11. He took hold of one of her hind-feet, and found only four toes upon it. 'I wonder if this is a mistake,' he said, 'or if the other one is the same.' Yes, it was just the same: there were four toes, with a claw at the end of each.Cat's Paw.
THE CATPART 2. knives poured touch coun´-tries bot´-tom clean rough peo´-ple should sauc´-er kit´-chen thought tear´-ing tongue cous´-ins be-lieve´
1. 'What long sharp teeth she has got!' cried Harry, as pussy sat up and opened her mouth. 'They look like knives. There are two at the top, and two at the bottom!
2. 'I should not like my finger to be in the way when you shut your mouth. Your teeth must be for tearing and cutting: I am sure you do not chew your food as I have to do.
3. 'And what a way you have of drinking!
'Here, pussy, would you like some milk?' said Harry, and getting up, he poured a little milk into a clean saucer.
4. The cat ran to it, and Harry went down on the floor close by to watch her drinking it.
5. He saw that pussy's tongue was not smooth like his own, but had tiny points all over it. It came into his mind that she had once licked his face, and her tongue had a 'scrapy' feeling.
6. 'Do it again, pussy, dear,' he said, but she went on lapping up the milk.
'May I touch your tongue, then, with one of my fingers?'
7. But pussy did not like this. Then Harry took a drop or two of the milk into the palm of his hand. And when the cat had taken all she had in the saucer, she came and licked up the milk in his hand.
8. She went on licking even when all was gone, and Harry was able in this way to feel how rough her tongue was....